Kayaking with Peale’s Dolphins in Chiloé
Taking in the breeze, scents and sounds of nature while kayaking in the Chiloé archipelago is one of the best ways to connect with this wonderful island in southern Chile.
These small boats, in addition to being easily maneuverable, allow you to come into close contact with the many species that inhabit the coast, such as black-necked swans, curlews, sea lions and even dolphins.
It is also a very special experience for people who have trouble with extensive walks and other demanding physical activities, but long to be immersed in nature.
The Tierra Chiloé excursion team has prepared exclusive kayak tours so you can discover for yourself this island’s incredible biodiversity. Enjoy gorgeous landscapes from the sea, with every safety feature and expert guides. They will match your navigational outing to the migratory cycles of species that visit the area during different seasons, thus increasing your chances of sighting them. Pullao Bay, across from the hotel, and the Dalcahue area are usually the preferred places for this activity.
The benefits of kayaking
Kayaking in Chiloé offers a number of advantages and benefits that make this activity especially attractive for adventure and nature lovers. These include:
1) A strong connection to nature: While kayaking, you immerse yourself in the natural beauty that surrounds you. You are closer to the water and marine life, making it possible to appreciate the surrounding fauna and flora in greater detail.
2) Physical exercise: Although in Chiloé the waters are usually calm and do not require too much physical effort, rowing is an excellent form of exercise as it involves many muscles of the torso, arms and legs. It is a cardiovascular activity that helps you improve your overall health and well-being.
3) Access to remote locations: Kayaks are small boats and can navigate in shallow waters.
4) A sense of freedom: When kayaking, you are the captain of your own adventure. You can go at your own pace, explore the places you choose, and enjoy the serenity of the water around you.
5) Stress reduction: Kayaking in a calm and serene environment like Chiloé can be a meditative and relaxing experience. The combination of the gentle movement of the water and the connection with nature helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
6) Accessibility: Kayaking is a versatile activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels. From beginners to experts, each person can find their own satisfaction in this activity.
How to identify Peale’s dolphins
Whether you sail amongst the islands of Chiloé in large boats, like our Williche, or small ones, like kayaks, if you are lucky and attentive, you will come across friendly Peale’s dolphins. This species, also known in the area as “tonina”, lives in the southern Pacific Ocean and has some characteristics that distinguish it from other dolphins.
For example, Peale’s dolphins are small, ranging in length from 1.2 to 1.7 meters. Their coloration varies from dark gray on the top that lightens along the sides to a belly that is usually light gray or white.
These cetaceans prefer shallow coastal waters such as bays, fjords and estuaries, although they can also venture into the deep. They tend to be quite curious and approach boats, allowing tourists and wildlife watchers to enjoy their presence in nature.
Peale’s dolphins are also characterized by their group behavior patterns. They move parallel to the coast and usually swim slowly with sudden bursts of activity.
Plan your navigation
If you wish to visit a quiet place to relax and experience adventures in nature, Tierra Chiloé is an excellent option. Combine an all-inclusive stay with personalized excursions, luxurious cuisine and a full spa. When making your reservation, you can indicate your goal of kayaking and getting to know the wonders of southern Chile. Write to us at email@example.com and we will plan an unforgettable holiday for you.